Dr. Otto-Georg Richter
ADDRESS / CONTACT
5942 Santa Barbara Ave., Apt. D, Garden Grove, CA 92845, USA
Ph.D., Physics and Astronomy, University of Hamburg, 1982 (Summa cum laude).
MA, Physics, University of Hamburg, 1978
BA, Physics, Computer Science, and Astronomy, University of Hamburg, 1976
- European Astronomical Society (founding member, 1990 - 1994)
- American Astronomical Society (1987 - present)
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific (1988 - present)
- Astronomische Gesellschaft (German Astronomical Society, 1982 - 1995)
1991: NASA/GSFC Certificate of Recognition
Academic, scientific and/or managerial; strong desire to mentor and lead; primary competency in physics and astronomy, strong secondary competency in computer engineering and IT-related professions; amenable to travel (up to 50%); international contacts; immediately available.
Dr. Richter is highly experienced in scientific research, scientific coordination and marketing, as well as in program, project and line management, administration and organization in R&D environments. He has supervisory and executive experience and is well versed in strategic and tactical planning. He is a team player and highly motivated and inspiring.
He has worked as laboratory manager, research coordinator, and managing director in a research environment.
- More than 6 years in computer and IT advisory/managing role (annual budgets up to $ 2.5 million) in US federal government agency environment. Many contacts at industry leader like, e.g., Intel, Siemens, Bosch, etc.
- More than 4 years in full-time public relations, including public lectures (in different languages), creating written materials, handling inquiries, giving newspaper, radio and TV interviews, and organizing public lecture series.
- More than 2 years in microsystems technology (MST/MEMS), including interfacing to major industry leaders (Siemens, Intel, Bosch, etc.), co-developed new industry fair in 2003 (Microsys Berlin), in Managing Director capacity, strong program and project management skills.
- Experience in writing successful grant applications (predominantly at German and EU levels) with awards of up to 750,000 Euros; implementation and management of sustained educational network (MANO).
- Used numerous and varied computer systems, operating systems, and software systems for data reduction and analysis; design, assembly and installation of PC systems; design, implementation and maintenance of networks; web design and programming, image processing, general programming. Well versed in all major desktop applications; highly adaptable to new computing environments. Has own IT consulting business since over 8 years.
- 4+ years experience in general, technical and scientific translation services (German-English and English-German, samples available online on the publications page).
- More than 2 years in environmental sciences (research, laboratory management, R&D coordination); contacts at many US and German colleges and universities.
- More than 15 years in scientific research, including organization and coordination of international scientific meetings, conferences, etc.; extensive scheduling (Hubble Space Telescope observations), and data reduction/analysis and planning system software development experience; skills in statistical data analysis and image processing and reconstruction; development of real-time data acquisition software.
Dr. Richter has close to 20 years of professional experience in observational optical and radio astronomy research, including the organization and coordination of scientific meetings, conferences, and time allocation committees, single dish, VLA, and VLBI observations and operations, scheduling of Hubble Space Telescope observations, and data reduction and planning system software development. His research included diameter determinations of stellar-like planetary nebulae, supernova statistics, analysis of global properties of normal spiral galaxies, spectroscopic studies of cluster galaxies to infer their dynamical properties, and the determination of cosmological parameters.
In his free time he is studying the statistics of supernovae from massive progenitors, asymmetries in disk galaxies, the H I properties of all galaxies in the Hydra I cluster, and dynamics and kinematics of galaxy clusters. Furthermore, he is developing the next generation H I catalog of external galaxies.
Dr. Richter has skills in the use of point-spread functions, statistical data analysis, and image reconstruction. He has participated in the design of radio-astronomy antenna feed arrays and is familiar with many different types of astronomical hardware from photometers to synthesis arrays. He has developed real-time data acquisition software to support astronomical observations, and has used many different computer systems for data analysis.
He has conducted and supervised observation programs at several optical telescopes at the European Southern Observatory (ESO), the Effelsberg 100m radio telescope, the NRAO 300ft, 140ft, and VLA, and at the ATNF Compact Array and Parkes 64m radio telescope, including handling of receiver and detector electronics, electrical power, hydraulics, and cryogenics systems. He has participated in the initial design of a 3 x 3 feed array for the Parkes telescope (an even larger feed array has long been built in the meantime). Dr. Richter has worked with several different types of radio interferometry correlators, and has a research interest in the phase-reference VLBI imaging technique.
Dr. Richter speaks English fluently and is a native speaker of German. His writing skills in both these languages are excellent. In addition, he had some formal training (1 year) in Spanish and some rudimentary exposure to French.
Since 1973 Dr. Richter has used a very large variety of computer systems, operating systems and programming languages for data processing, text processing, artificial intelligence tasks, real-time data acquisition and other applications. He has always adapted easily to new computing environments.
Computer Systems included Telefunken TR440, DEC PDP-8, PDP-10, PDP-11, CDC Cyber, ModComp Classic II - IV, DEC VAX WS2000 - 8800 in clusters, DECstations 3100 and 5000, SUN 3/150, 4/xxx, SPARCstation 1 - 20, UltraSPARC, and IPX, MassComp, Silicon Graphics Indigo, HP 1000/3000 and 9000/7xx, IBM RS-6000, TI Explorer I - II and m Explorer (LISP workstations), CONVEX C1 & C2, PCs (DEC, IBM, and IBM compatibles, 8086 - i7), and Apple Macintosh (Classic - IIci, Quadra, PowerPC).
Programming languages used by Dr. Richter are FORTRAN, Pascal, ALGOL-60, Basic, C, Macro-11, and LISP, as well as scripting in DCL and C-shell. He is familiar with many operating systems, including VMS, various UNIX flavors including Linux, CP/M, DOS (2.0 - 6.22), and MS-Windows (3.0 - 98, NT, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 7), as well as GUIs (X-Windows, OpenView, KDE, etc.).
Dr. Richter also has extensive experience in web design and HTML programming.
In Reverse Chronological Order
Since Final Emigration to the USA on 27 February 2005
In Germany after Return from the USA (1993-2005)
In the USA (1984-1993)
In Germany before moving to the USA in 1984
1-page Summary Resume
in MS-Word format
Full Curriculum Vitae
in MS-WORD Format
(Note: This HTML-Version is updated more frequently, though!)
Specialised Resume for IT and computer jobs
in MS-WORD Format
in MS-Word format
List of References
in MS-Word format
© 20. November 2010